Tuesday, May 16, 2006

I <3 LV (and SS)

Dear Diary,
As you well know, last night I went to see Laura Viers! At first I was kinda unsure about it, because I wasn't really in the mood to go to a show alone...I almost considered just staying home. But after smoking a bowl and getting ridiculous stoned I was ready for adventure, and what an adventure it was (or seemed then anyway).
I leave the house in one of those periodic downpours last night, which was pretty intense at the time. I arrive at the J train in rare form, finding myself infatuated with the rain falling on the tracks.
Soon after boarding the train I encounter a rare breed of hipster, that is, the Fashionista Hipster That Almost Isn't a Hipster at All*. Fascinating creatures they are... She sat across from me next to her friend who was clearly the business oriented, and probably smarter one. They were accompanied by a silent Abercrombie & Fitch model with a fauxhawk; he just sat with his arm around the hipster chick, looking completely vapid. The hipster girl spoke in that classic airhead speak that basically made every sentence into a question.

Their conversation was as follows:
Hipster: So like, I think that maybe, like, I might want to go into broadcasting or journalism?
Smarty: No, you definitely mean broadcasting. You don't want to be a journalist.
Hipster: No, but like, you know, just like, to try it? Like I think I would like it-
Smarty: No. You wouldn't like journalism, you're thinking of broadcasting.
Hipster: But like, I knew some people at [newspaper from out of town, perhaps hometown] and like, I think it would be cool?
Smarty: Listen, I used to work as an editor at [newspaper form out of town] and you definitely wouldn't want to be a journalist. Trust me.
Hipster: But, like, I don't know-
That was about all I could take, but let me be clear- this girl's grasp on the English language wouldn't even qualify her to write for, say, the Gilmore Girls. Not by a long shot, and that's saying a lot. Those who are responsible for the Gilmore Girls ought to have their balls cut off and thrown in the ocean. Where was I? Diary, you have to stop me when I get so sidetracked!

Anyway, I walk to Mercury Lounge where the man at the door reminds me that I've just turned 21 this year! (Wow, I almost forgot!) I wander in to watch the second act of the night, which is actually the guitar player from LV. I found myself completely mystified by his use of a strange gadget that was recording his voice, then setting it to play on a loop, and allowing him to slowly layer a song of him harmonizing live with himself (does that make sense?). I wasn't really sure if he was actually good or if I just thought he was, given my condition, but it was working for me.

But then, a magical thing happened- I was walking to the bathroom, when I brushed by SUFJAN STEVENS! Be still my beating heart! I made a double take, and then he turned back too...our eyes met...we shared a moment. ::swoon:: There was a part of me that thought maybe he recognized me from staring up at him dreamy-eyed in the front row at nearly every show he's played in NYC. I guess that's not realistic- but when has that ever gotten in the way of my larger than life ego?
After sending some frantic text messages from the BR, I returned to the crowd, and tried not to stare at him longingly.

LV came on and played pretty much all my favorite songs right at the beginning. I don't know whether this was substance related or just her, but I became totally overwhelmed with visuals...I guess of the lyrics, or perhaps where she was when she wrote them? I don't know how else to describe it. She had such a great connection with her guitar player too; they really seemed in synch, giving each other these knowing looks... Their stage presence was terrific overall, but I found the actual sound a little unsatisfying. There was something a little weird going on with her voice...I got the impression that she was experiencing some throat issues. The scene was alright generally, but there was this weird guy in front of me that was totally invading my space, and then another guy behind me that wouldn't back up...it was kinda weirding me out. I should have said something, but I didn't want to make a scene during her set.
All things considered I guess it was a pretty good show, and seeing SS just made my night.

Seeing this show has just got me so pumped to see the Liars... but I'll write more on that later.

Well, only an hour left to kill at work before watching my show and going home to my new SH8H wife (LB). I better go check my Myspace six or seven times-

Love,
MM





* the FHTAIHA is that rich girl that is essentially in a classic hipster ensemble, just classier (or at least more expensive). Her gold bangles are Chanel (as is her quilted leather purse), her boots are new and clean, her clothes are in good condition....good fabrics- you get the idea. This is the trickiest kind of hipster, because she's almost just "hip." It's a subtle distinction...

5 doubleshot soy lattes with no foam:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gilmore Girls is actually not a bad show. Good music, such as Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo, etc. Plus, the daughter is hot. And we're allowed that every once in a while.

The crap in media pays for the good stuff in media. Without the turds we wouldn't have the flowers.

10:26 PM  
Blogger self-h8ting hipster said...

Thomas, I have to disagree. I have spend many a night watching Gilmore Girls intensely at work (see description of my job in previous entry), and that show is terrible. The dialogue is overwritten, almost Dawson's Creek-esque; often times I am writing questions and realize that almost nothing has happened during the entire episode. My heart aches when I have to watch GG. You may have a point about the daughter, but personally I think she's impossibly boring. I think the mom's actually hotter...

2:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I disagree with you there. The mom is not hot because her character is a woman who has been unable to come to a conclusion on life and is endlessly in the throes of a pre-midlife crisis. She can't decide who she loves so she wrings her hands. She only has a "cool" relationship with her daughter because she is weaker than her and most likely to ask her for advice. That's not cool, as many viewers would surmise, but sad.

But that daughter is hot. Meow.

BTW, I work where you work. Peace.

11:58 AM  
Blogger self-h8ting hipster said...

Ah, I see. We'll have to agree to disagree...

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe it's a generational thing. Not that I'm in a different generation than Thomas, if indeed Thomas is who I think he is...

But Lauren Graham has it all over Alexis Bleidel.

And I *still* don't get Sufjan Stevens.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home