Sunday, May 21, 2006

"You know what really grinds my gears?"

Not this-

Some notable (or odd) sights of the weekend:

On First (or Second) Avenue, a man was passing out packs of gum along with postcards encouraging you to stop writing letters to your congressmen and protesting to take action on matter which concern you, but instead to use the power of prayer. Prayer is the answer.

A little girl's pink bicycle (complete with training wheels) was locked to some scaffolding. It was surrounded by other bigger bikes. Who would steal a little girl's bike?

Walking home in the afternoon I saw a street fair on Graham Avenue (the Avenue of Puerto Rico!). Performing onstage were five girls dressed in huge afros, velvet minidresses, and huge platform heels (like...practically stripper heels). Before I could take a picture, a terrifying drill sergeant of a dance instructor hurried them offstage to change in a makeshift tent (presumably for the encore?). I felt like I may have been trapped in a scene from the Bushwick version of Donnie Darko...except that there was no crashed aircraft, or time travel, and the music was pretty shitty (so in other words, not really like it at all).

In Union Sqaure, a squirrel walked across the path and rested its front paws up on the first rung of the fencing. It stared at my friend Lindsay and I for thirty seconds straight.

On the L train I was listening intently to some new tracks I had just burned to CD. I had just bought a pair of white Maxell earbuds at Walgreens; above them was a handwritten sign saying "no iPod, no problem!" I bought them partly for the ironic satisfaction in wearing white earbuds that were IN FACT attached to an MP3 CD player (sooooooooo old school), and also because I misplaced mine. Anyway, I decided to skip a song and took the player out of my purse; I looked up and noticed this hipster chick sitting across from me. I watched a look of complete confusion wash over this girl's face, followed by a look of disgust. Mission.Accomplished.

Also, an apartment update: My new roommate and I are in the process of getting the lease application together. All we need to do is fax it, and then meet with the landlord this week. Hellooooooooo Bedford Avenue...

0 doubleshot soy lattes with no foam:

Post a Comment

<< Home