Wednesday, June 07, 2006

You said, "done is good," but done well is so much fucking better

Note, I thought I posted this a couple days ago...so, sorry lauren for accusing you of not reading my blog...um...I'm a jerk.

Ok, so first things first: on account of the obscene rainfall I'm sure all you NYers noticed, all my initial friday day plans were replaced with movie watching, and napping. I then went to Coda with my soon to be (and not SH8H) roomate. I proceeded to get my drink on for a bit and then headed downtown for sushi, drinks, and grass with JD. Then the usual sort of relaxed weekend commenced. There was walking in the rain, and eating, and I almost saw Army of Shadows but it was sold out. I was pretty devestated but then I pouted and jumped up and down for a couple minutes and felt much better. There was an almost nap and an actual nap. Very action-packed. Then I went out for some MORE drinks here, there, and Mona's. I almost fell out of my chair following a little bit of slurred speech but regained control (see here for more chair incidents). Then Sunday it was time for work again.

Monday I went to see Deadboy and the Elephantmen. You see, DB and the E are playing at Bonnaroo, but I found out they were playing an early showcase at Mercury Lounge, So after an afternoon of coupling with LH I invited NW to join me on the outing. From an instrumental standpoint, the compositions weren't very complicated, and the melodic progressions perhaps a little uninspired, but they were solid, catchy, and really let Dax Riggs' voice shine. He really sang his heart out, drunk though he was (he at one point said "i hope none of you are as drunk as I am..."). His presense was great and had managed to have a fairly large crowd engaged (especially considering it was about 730pm). The drummer was perhaps the most enthused of the group, just exploding all over the set and then quietly composing her sweaty self and meekly thanking the crowd after each song. Not since playing with my friend RS in high school have I seen a female drummer let it rip like that. And I'm not just saying that because I wanted to take that Louisiana girl backstage and properly thank her for her spirited performance. Plus, they ended with a cover of "wave of mutilation." finis.

Now for the real reason I decided to post today. Has everyone heard the new Stephen Malkmus album? I know that strictly speaking, this is not a "new" album, but it is the most recent. And as I have listened to it more (again, in preparation for Bonnaroo- er I'm sorry "Rock 'n Roll Fantasy Weekend") I have decided that my previous review of "I like it" is the understatement of the day (perhaps even the week). Something to point out here, is that I was working as an artist's assistant for the woman who is now married to Stephen while he was writing this album. I don't say this just to namedrop, but because crazy though it might sound, I can really hear her influence on this album. The whole album sounds like something one miught write with her imput. The whole thing is very touching to me...especially because they had only been seeing each other (and long distance) for a short time at that point,and I used to hear them talking on the phone. They were in that phase where you're just so crazy about each other. Besides, apparently she was the first to inspire a true love song for artists (post paint boy: Revelation artistry; So fed up with hypocrisy; There isn't a label large enough to fit your bill). Freeze the Saints, in particular, really gets me feeling mushy; I feel like I had some sort of inside (yet still "outside") view of that song. And with tracks like No More Shoes, Stephen stretches out his legs for 8 minutes conducting a little jam session with himself (since he recorded most of the song himself in the studio). "I was made for lovin' you baby; give me my alka selzer!!!" awwww... Plus, do I spy a banjo in "It Kills"? I'm not a writer, and especially not a music reviewer (there must be a better term than that), but I'd reccomend this album to anyone. In fact, anyone who does not have it, can comment and I will make them a copy. Seriously, right now.

After many unreturned messages, I was informed today that my Crash DVD is IN THE MAIL. Why now after all these unanswered messages? Could it be that he reads my blog and feared my smirking Facebook revenge? Hmmmmmm... only time will tell.

3 doubleshot soy lattes with no foam:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the remnants of a package from one E. Schwenterly on the bed this evening. Thank God this DVD drama is finally over and I can watch "Crash" once and for all.

1:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephen Malkmus, eh? Sounds like I need a listening.

WOO HOOO FOR THE DAMN DVD! Finally, the dvd war is over. :)

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and your appology is accepted. You blog so much these days, of course you can get confused now and then. :)

2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home