Wednesday, July 26, 2006

There are haters, you know.

It has come to my attention that there is a certain column in the Onion called "The Hater" written by Amelie Gillette, it is exactly what it seems in that it is a column detailing her hatred of this and that, pop culture, etc. I would like to take this opportunity to say that as far as I can tell from the archives (though I saw her column in the print version), my blog was born months before her column. Now, is it a little paranoid to think that she lifted her name from my very own blog, despite the fact that "hater" is a fairly common term used by many writers and hipsters alike? Probably, but my reason for writing this is not because I mean to accuse her of stealing my ideas for her own column (cough, yeti, cough cough), but because I am anticipating someone asking me if I got the idea for my blog based on her column, and then wanting to punch said person in the face.

That being said, there are a few unsettling similarities. First, the "intro to the column" column. She begins by detailing why she writes the column, making her confidence in her opinion known/making her superiority clear. She then lists things one might come to expect from "The Hater" in the future. Does this sound familiar yet? I'm just saying...

Also, what's up with her "Fuck snakes on a plane" thing? SamLJ can do no wrong in my eyes, and as far as I'm concerned, basically shits gold. Besides, what would possess you to diss a badass like SLJ anyway? You know, sometimes it's not about the quality of the film, but the spirit of the project. No? Well, I would be careful who you talk to about that... For the record, I would watch a movie just to see SLJ say "motherfucker every five seconds." ALSO, there are numbers on those scrabble letters on her column header, and what do the numbers on the h's add up to? 8!!!!!
Additionally, I DO get paid largish sums of money to watch things like "So you think you can dance." And I'm not ashamed...exactly. As Fists often says "You are not able to say things like 'you couldn't pay me to watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition', because you are!"
All kidding aside, I like this little column. I respect the spirit of so no hard feelings AG, I'm just looking out for my best interest. (All I want is what's coming to me, all i want is my fair share! Just send 10s and 20s...)
So, there's that.
Also it has come to my attention that Rebecca Schumann of "Nothing to see here" in the The L Magazine used to work at my job up until a month ago, AND that one of my favorite people at work knows her. Those who know about me and my undying support of the L magazine can imagine my excitement.
***
And now....about this new Sufjan album. I love Sufjan, you all know that...but I have very mixed feelings about this. I wouldn't say that I don't like it, and it may still grow on me, but at this point it sounds like what it says; which is to say that these songs didn't make the cut, but they played a few here and there on the tour. There are a few that I really like; in the case of sufjan I've always loved his albums from the start, and there was never a question. but this? I feel I'm already giving a huge benefit of the doubt, actually trying very hard to like it because I crave more (MORE!!!!). The jury's still out. More up[dates to come. Sorry SS, but don't fret. I'm still coming to your show and I still love you, even though you don't love me (yet).

One more quick note: I am writing this from a Williamsburg coffee shop/wireless internet oasis. There are eight people on their laptop including myself. Three Mac iBook G4s, four Mac Powerbook G4s, and one lonely Dell. Oh Dell, so young to be out to pasture...it warms my heart. Oh, shit, two lonely Dells. Well Dell, I see you've fooled me again. What are you, fucking Skeletor? (Delletor?)

3 doubleshot soy lattes with no foam:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lady, half of your office works for The L.

5:06 PM  
Blogger self-h8ting hipster said...

well i know that NOW...

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you and your Mac. I haven't head the new Sufjan album yet, so I will take your word for it.
"Market Days" here in Chicago sends its love. :)

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home